Jocelyn

Sunday, September 25, 2011

National Celiac Awareness Day

I just realized that September 13, the day of my first post, was “National Celiac Disease Awareness Day.” How perfect!


According to Celiac Central, the website of the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness, “the day was created to honor the doctor who identified a link between celiac disease and diet.” That doctor, Samuel Gee, was born on Sept. 13, 1839.


I’ll be posting more about celiac disease in the future. For now, I just want to say how glad I am that awareness of this condition is increasing, especially among allopathic doctors. We still have a long way to go in terms of educating medical professionals about celiac disease and its symptoms, not to mention gluten sensitivity. It pains me to think how many people are misdiagnosed and misled by well-meaning doctors who simply don’t have the training or knowledge to identify the many health problems that can arise from a person’s inability to break down the gluten protein.


I am grateful for the growing number of individuals and organizations who are helping spread the word about celiac disease and related conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment