Jocelyn

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

It all started in Nepal...sort of


I’ve been thinking about starting this blog for some time now. I’m not sure exactly when the idea first blossomed. But, I knew it would become a reality, and not just an idea, in September of 2008. That's when the name “Bread and Tummy” came to me, in Nepal, about half-way up the steep climb to Namche Bazaar.

I've always loved writing, but when I've thought about starting a blog I've mostly considered topics that would lend themselves well to visual illustration -- things like my puppy, or my outdoor adventures in Alaska, or (if I get around to it someday) my home renovations focusing on eco-friendly and non-toxic solutions and materials.

When I got sick, though, it became clear that I had something more compelling to share, and to write about. What I was learning about my illness and how to manage it, the recipes I was finding in cookbooks and creating from scratch, and my day-to-day challenges and triumphs, were all things that other people might be interested in -- and more importantly, might benefit from.

About a year ago, a trusted friend who also happens to have an autoimmune disease, suggested that I write about my experiences. She had no idea that I was already mulling over this blog idea. A few weeks later, a woman at the grocery store noticed my basket full of gluten-free goods and asked me for advice because she'd just been diagnosed with celiac disease. We talked for almost an hour, and I wrote down some of my favorite gluten-free products and websites where she could find more resources. It felt good to help her, and I found myself wanting to do this for other people, too -- to share with them what I've learned, to offer suggestions, and most of all, to give others hope and support. It was then that I realized I had to start a blog, to give it a shot and see where it goes.

I am not sure where my own journey will take me. I hope that one day I will feel as healthy and strong as I did before this all began.

What I do know is that I am not the only one searching for answers, hoping for a cure, figuring out what I can and can't eat, trying to take life one day at a time, adjusting to a life that I never imagined, and learning unexpected lessons along the way. By writing it all down, I hope that someone out there will read it and benefit in some way. Maybe it will turn out to be just a diary, or a way to keep track of recipes and research.

Either way, I'm excited to be putting it all down in a very public way and finally taking the leap into my very own blog! Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment